iADH Congress, Acapulco, Mexico 2020
Connecting Bridge For Disability And Oral Health Among Asian Countries
Introduction of AADOH
Chair & Discussant
Dental home establishment for people with special needs
1. It is important to establish dental home as oral health safety nets for people with special needs.
2. The collaboration of dental associations and government as well as other countries(AADOH) is critical to set up the dental home for people with special needs.
3. This talk will provide an overview of the designing process to define essential services for people with special needs.
Education of SCD and journal publishing together with AADOH
1. AADOH is based on human and academic exchange between Japan, Taiwan and the Korean Association for Disability and Oral Health.
2. Japan supported Korea with an action plan, and Korea is currently supporting other Asian countries through Mega-choi fellowship.
3. AADOH first published a journal in December 2019 and publishes twice a year.
Legal support and establish of demonstration centers of special needs dentistry by government and dental professional
1. Legal support is a base for Ministry of Health and Welfare to develop the special care dentistry.
2. Oral Health Act (2002) focus at prevention strategies and implementation for general public and persons with disabilities.
3. Taiwan association for Disabilities and Oral Health (2002) commenced 186 specialist and 13 training institutions qualified in special care dentistry.
National health insurance system and specialty accreditation for SND
1. The National Health Insurances System (NHIS) of Taiwan is mandatory for all citizens including people with disability.
2. Only a few dentists were willing provide dental treatment for population. The Dental Association of Taiwan (DAT) proposed an additional payment system for hospitals included in NHIS.
3. Under permission of government the DAT proposed dental care in institutes for disabled. Basic and advance education courses for dentists every year is provided and make the budget from dental part of the NHIS for additional payment of dental treatment for disabled from 2007.
Establishment of Education and Practice System for SCD in Japan
1. The Japanese SCD system is built in close collaboration between the university and the local dental association.
2. JSDH has established a system of certified physicians, specialists, and supervising physicians out of nearly 4,000 members.
3. We are building a system to support special care patients living in the community in cooperation with dental hygienists and other occupations as well as dentists.
Evidence based practice in SCD
1. Evidence is needed in dental practice including treatment and oral care.
2. There are many researches regarding SCD in Japan.
3. Basic and clinical research need collaboration for SCD. AADOH conference would like to share the findings.